As a new pet owner learning to understand your puppies behaviour is invaluable. During the ages of 8-16 weeks, puppies absorb new information much easier and quicker than after this age. This makes puppy preschool so important. Its also a great way to meet new puppy friends, and be exposed to environments.
What is Puppy Preschool:
This 4 week course is run in partnership with Lyn Spathis who has over 30 years experience working with dogs. Classes are made up of up to 6-8 dogs in a safe indoor facility. Our groups are focused to optimise learning.
Classes will be held at The Dog Den in Takapuna, in our day care facility
We cover basic obedience & socialisation to get your pup to be comfortable, focused & following your directions.
We also cover:
- Toilet and crate training
- Learning positive training techniques
- Puppy problems e.g. mouthing, jumping up, etc
- Basic obedience skills: recall, sit, down. lead walking
- How to enhance puppy/owner relationship
- Puppy parents will also gain an understanding of canine communication, to help understand how your puppy is feeling.
- We will provide an introduction to doggy day care.
At the end of the 4 weeks, your puppy will be presented with a personalised graduation certificate and a voucher for 1 full day or two half days, day care at The Dog Den.
How to prepare for class:
- Your puppy should wear a collar and be on a lead (no choker chains please). Bring a mat or blanket for your puppy to sit on. This will be his or her safe and ‘calm' area.
- Please don't feed your puppy before the class and instead bring your puppies dinner kibble or high-value treats with you to be used as a training aid.
- We suggest you bring along some of your puppies favourite treats and perhaps a "chewy" to keep them occupied while we are talking.
- Please do not bring your puppy to class if he/she is unwell. We suggest that you still attend the class yourself to observe what is being discussed.
- Please toilet your dog before coming to class.
How to enrol:
- 18th June (Programme completed)
- 23rd July (Programme full - in progress)
- 27th August - rescheduled to start on 3rd September (Programme Full)
- 1st October (enrolments open)
Enrol online (see below)
Cost is $150 and a great investment
To ensure the best protection for your puppy, puppies will need to have had their 1st vaccination to attend.
About our Trainer Lyn:
Lyn is the proud owner of two Border Collies, Cobber and Gusto. Her life and passion is all about dogs! She has worked as a veterinary nurse for over 30 years, taking puppy classes during this time, and also works as a dog walker.
One of her hobbies is Competitive Dog Obedience and she has attained the title of Obedience champion with two of her dogs. She also enjoys instructing at the North Shore Dog Training Club. In July 2020 Lyn and Cobber achieved the title of NZ Obedience Grand Champion.
Her aim in taking puppy classes is to encourage, and see develop positive relationships between people and their pups.
Terms and conditions
All dogs must have had their first set of vaccinations to attend. The Dog Den is sanitised daily to a very high standard. All dogs attending are fully vaccinated. Every attempt is made to prevent any spreading of disease, although this cannot be guaranteed 100%.
Up to 2 persons per dog may attend. More by prior approval. We don't want the experience to be overwhelming for the dogs
If your dog is sick, please let us know and don't attend. We will either organise for you to join the same session on another programme, or supply you with the information missed, or organise a replacement session.
Payment must be made in full before the programme starts. Payment can be made on-line through our on-line store. Or in person at The Dog Den via Eftpos or credit card.
We will start promptly at 7pm, so please be here by 645pm.
The course contents remain the intellectual property of Lyn Spathis and The Dog Den Limited.